Panel on Infrastructure Financing at 10th Asian Financial Forum
Co-organised by HKMA Infrastructure Financing Facilitation Office, Financial Services and the Treasury Bureau and Hong Kong Trade Development Council
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (Hall 5FG)
Panel on Infrastructure Financing
Infrastructure Financing in Asia: Prospects and Challenges
There is increasing focus on the vast potential and opportunities in infrastructure development and their related financing activities in Asia, which is given further impetus by China's implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative. According to the estimates of the Asian Development Bank, funding needs for infrastructure development in emerging economies in Asia alone would be around US$800 billion per year up to 2020. As an international financial centre and the most important springboard for Chinese corporates to go and expand overseas, Hong Kong is uniquely well positioned to facilitate infrastructure investments and their financing. At the same time, it remains a key challenge to make many of these infrastructure projects more "bankable". In light of these developments, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority has in July 2016 established the Infrastructure Financing Facilitation Office (IFFO) with a mission to facilitate infrastructure investments and their financing by bringing together and working with a cluster of key stakeholders in this field.
This panel brought together key stakeholders from the public and private sectors to exchange views on the opportunities and challenges surrounding infrastructure development and financing in Asia. It also looked into the pivotal role that Hong Kong can play in the centre of these exciting developments.
- Norman T.L. Chan, GBS, JP; Chief Executive, Hong Kong Monetary Authority
Panellists (Listed in alphabetical order of organization name):
- Kairat Kelimbetov, Governor, Astana International Financial Centre
- Suyi Kim, Head of Asia Pacific, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Geert Peeters, Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer, CLP Holdings Limited
- Gordon French, Group General Manager and Head of Global Banking & Markets, Asia Pacific, HSBC
- Ben Way, Chief Executive Officer, Macquarie Group Asia
- Liu Jian, Director General, Department of International Economic Relations, Ministry of Finance, The People’s Republic of China